Unitarian Universalism is a religion that is based on covenant, not creed or dogma. Covenant is a promise to stay connected. We stay connected to each other as we search for truth and meaning, each in our own way. We covenant with all of life and seek to repair any disconnection, isolation and separation.
Our roots as a religion grow out of the Judeo-Christian tradition and have expanded to include a deep reverence for reason, knowledge, and modern understanding of the natural world and universe. We draw on many sources of spiritual truth and inspiration, recognizing the need to think for ourselves and let experience guide our beliefs.
We hold several theological convictions:
- All souls are sacred and worthy of love
- There is a unity that makes us one; everything is connected
- Truth continues to be revealed
- Salvation (wholeness, healing) is available in this life
- Courageous love transforms the world
Our values and ethics are expressed in the 7 Principles of Unitarian Universalism:
- The inherent worth and dignity of every person
- Justice, equity and compassion in human relations
- Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations
- A free and responsible search for truth and meaning
- The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large
- The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all
- Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part
We participate in church community so that we can be transformed and help transform the world.
The Unitarian Universalist Church of Boulder is a growing congregation of about 270 members and friends. We have a long history in the Boulder area, tracing our roots to the 1880s. We are diverse in faith, ethnicity, history and spirituality, but aligned in our desire to make a difference. We have a track record of siding with love, justice, and peace.
We are people of all sexual orientations and gender identities, and we have been at the forefront of LGBTQ+ inclusion for more than 40 years.
We welcome you: your whole self, with all your truths and your doubts, your worries and your hopes. Join us on an extraordinary adventure to deepen faith, live well, and enact justice. Get involved!
If you would like to stay in touch, please join our mailing list here!