One way to insure the future of Unitarian Universalism in our world and to support our congregation for future generations: The Si! (Strategic Initiatives) Committee has recently launched a new Legacy Giving Program. For a limited time our members and friends have an opportunity to make a future legacy gift to UUCB that will be matched soon with a 10% cash gift through the UUA “Wake Now Our Vision” Challenge.
As of the writing of this, we have ten (10) people who have designated a Legacy Gift to UUCB that will qualify us for the 10% cash match!
A Legacy Gift, also known as a bequest, is a gift from your estate—a transfer of cash, securities, or other property made through your estate plans—that is distributed upon your passing. You can make a bequest to UUCB by designating UUCB as a beneficiary of your retirement account or life insurance policy or by including language in your will or living trust leaving a portion of your estate to UUCB. Remembering UUCB with a legacy gift from your estate will help sustain and strengthen Unitarian Universalism and UUCB in years to come.
Some of the advantages of creating a bequest include:
- A bequest costs nothing now, yet gives you the satisfaction of knowing you have provided for UUCB in the future
- You retain control of and use of your assets during your lifetime
- You may modify your bequest if your circumstances change
- Gifts to UUCB from your estate are exempt from federal estate taxes
A Special Opportunity to Give Back to UUCB Now
In order to promote and inspire planned giving among Unitarian Universalists, the Wake Now Our Vision (WNOV) Legacy Challenge will match new legacy gift intentions for UU congregations and organizations at 10% of the gift estimated value with a cash match (up to a $10,000 match on a $100,000 planned gift). The cash will be distributed starting in 2019. The WNOV campaign is for a total of $5 million—close to 2 million has been claimed so far.
Please consider a bequest to UUCB to take advantage of this unique cash match!
Planning your Bequest
When planning for a bequest, you will need to consider how you would like your gift to be used to benefit UUCB—whether unrestricted in purpose or restricted to a specific fund.
- An unrestricted bequest allows UUCB to determine how to use the funds based on our most pressing needs. In this case, UUCB’s Board of Trustees will allocate your gift per UUCB’s Gift Policy.
- A restricted bequest directs assets to one of five (5) UUCB specific funds. You can designate a specific purpose for such a gift by filling out UUCB’s Legacy Gift Allocation Form.
- Mission Fund: Provides support of UUCB missions and strategic initiatives
- Capital Fund: Provides funding to improve, expand, purchase and/or lease property for UUCB
- Justice Fund: Supports justice activities, training and projects
- Paths Fund: Fosters, promotes and supports UU campus and young adult ministries
- Endowment Fund: Provides a permanent endowment fund from which earned income is disbursed annually
You’ll find more information on our Legacy Giving Program by clicking here.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our Stewardship Council: UUCBStewardship@gmail.com,
Your generosity will help assure that our beacon of liberal religion will continue to shine brightly in our world!