Did you know that feeling safe can make conservatives more liberal? It’s about less fear, or perhaps, more trust. I believe that trust is fundamental for navigating this world in a good way. It’s not about trusting that bad things won’t happen, because, well, they will. What’s important is trusting our best selves. Only when we can trust the vision of our seven principles, only when we trust that our actions are the building blocks that make up a better world can we make that world manifest.
Together we have passed the halfway point on my nine month congregational internship. Where does the time go? I want to express my gratitude for the ways this church community has held and supported me thus far and my admiration for your tireless dedication to living our principles and our covenantal faith. Thank you for trusting me with your stories and with this sacred work.
Congregational internships are organized around seven “competencies” that correspond to the evaluation criteria the Ministerial Fellowship Committee uses to credential UU ministers:
worship and rites of passage, pastoral care and presence, spiritual development for self and others, social justice in the public square, administration, serves the larger Unitarian Universalist faith, and leads the faith into the future. I am blessed with ample opportunities to engage with all of these areas!
I trust that we are better together than we ever could be alone. Here, in this community, may we be free to express authenticity, to make mistakes, and know that when we stumble we can be lovingly called back into covenant. This is the beauty of the promises we make to one another: the commitment to welcoming one another back into right relationship alleviates the need to be perfect. What a relief! We can be free to set aside fear and live from trust in our vision of what the world is and what it could be. In that spirit, let me encourage you in my remaining months here to:
- Register here for Starting Point. This small group ministry welcomes newcomers and long-timers alike who would like to explore a renewal of their UU faith. Jan 29, 30, and Feb 5, 6 at 6:30 pm. Plan to attend all four.
- Come and try Soul Jam. All five Tuesdays in April, 7-8 pm. This is something new – an evening worship experience full of music and play. Drop in; not a series.
- Reach out and introduce yourself if I have not had a chance to meet you yet!
- Listen to one of your intern’s current favorite songs.
- Practice a happiness habit or two.
- Breathe deeply often.
Christopher Watkins Lamb