Welcome to Staying in Touch, the new blog of the UU Church of Boulder. This blog is another means to keep us connected and informed during this era of “social distancing” – or as our Affiliated Minister, Rev. Randy Spaulding of Boulder Mennonite Church wisely called it, “social connecting while physically distancing.” While we are not gathering in our church building or other physical spaces, we’re offering additional online means for staying connected with one another, to support our mission to Connect Bravely, Deepen Spiritually, Embody Justice, and Always Love – a mission which continues strong (if in different ways) in this era of COVID-19.
One of the big changes is that our worship will be online for the foreseeable future. Our first worship online was this past Sunday, on one of our social media platforms (Facebook Live). We filmed it in the sanctuary, and kept the format very similar to our in-person Sunday morning worships. It worked pretty well, but we did get feedback that a couple technical aspects could have been better: speakers & the pulpit were too far back from the camera, and slides were hard to see.
So we’re switching to a different online format – Zoom. It’s a format many in our congregation already use, both in personal & work lives, and in many of our church’s other new, online activities. It will allow for a more up close and intimate feel, as well as a bit of interactive elements that don’t work in the same way in our sanctuary. It also allows for each of us who lead worship to do so in our own homes, and maintain the physical distancing we are all encouraged to practice.
Also, for the next 4 Sundays, we will offer a worship series, focused each Sunday on a different part of our UUCB Mission Statement:
- Connect Bravely – “Surfing Our Connections” – March 22
- Deepen Spiritually – “With Body and Spirit United” – March 29
- Embody Justice – “Flipping Over Tables” – April 5
- Always Love – “Love’s Surprising Return” – April 12 (Easter)
And much else is happening as well. Here’s a full list of online programs and points of connection, with times, leaders, links, and brief descriptions:
- SUNDAY WORSHIP: Sunday, 10:30-11:30 AM – Rev. Eric Posa (w/ others)
- FAMILY MINISTRY: Sunday, 9:15-10:15 AM – Rev. Dana Lightsey
- OFFICE HOURS (NOTE: Each staff member’s cell phone # is same as number ending each Zoom web address)
- Monday, 4:00-6:00 PM – Beth Elliot
- Tuesday, 10:00-11:00 AM, 3:00-6:00 PM – Rev. Dana Lightsey
- Wednesday, 1:00-4:00 PM – Rev. Eric Posa
- Thursday, 10:00-11:00 AM, 3:00-6:00 PM – Rev. Dana Lightsey
- Friday, 10:00-11:00 AM – Beth Elliot
- BLOG – “TOUCH POINT”: This is the first post to our new blog, to be in more regular touch with our members and friends during these changing times. New posts 3-5 times per week.
- MORNING MEDITATION: Tues.-Sat., 7:00-7:30 & 9:00-9:30 AM – Rev. Dana Lightsey
- A ½-hour guided meditation as we intentionally enter our days with ease & calm
- TWILIGHT REFLECTION: Tues. & Thurs., 7:30-7:50 PM – Rev. Eric Posa
- About 20 minutes of contemplation on a focusing question & centering reading
- A UU MOMENT: Wednesday, 6:30-7:00 PM – Rev. Dana Lightsey
- A fun, brief, online worship service for everyone
- COMMUNITY NIGHT: Friday, 6:00-8:00 PM – Rev. Dana Lightsey, with Beth Elliot
- A multi-generational gathering – now EVERY Friday!
See you (online) in church!
Rev. Eric Posa